<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 05, 2003

To slap, or not to slap...

Since the age of about 11, I've been trowelling make-up on my face on an almost daily basis. I blame my sister (I *know* I've got two sisters, but *I* know which one I mean...) - she's 4 years older than me and had a Saturday job in Boots and used to get loads of make-up testers free when ranges were discontinued. So we'd spend our evenings daubing our faces with "electric blue" mascara and frosted pink lipstick - soooo eighties! That's how it all began... by the age of 15 I was wearing a full face of make-up every day.

16 years later *gulp* and I'm still slapping it on - not just a bit of lippy or mascara, the whole hog - foundation, powder, blusher, eyeliner, mascara, lippy. It's become such a part of me that I don't even realise I'm doing it...

The Big Fella said to me the other day "Don't wear make-up Witho, you look much better without it" (at the time he said it, I was "sans" make-up so he was qualified to comment - many people haven't seen me without it!). But he's biased...

I've had a little think about this. When I look around me, most women don't appear to be wearing much make-up at all. Compared to them, I really do slap it on - maybe I'm hiding behind it or something, maybe my make-up is the mask I wear for the outside world. The real Witho is what lurks beneath the layers of "ladies' lard" (as my brother would call it...). Maybe I should "cut down"! I've made a lot of changes in my life recently - this could be the next one! I'm a bit scared though. My complexion is so bad at the moment which is one of the things which perpetuates the cycle (wear make-up to cover up spots, make-up causes more spots, wear more make-up to cover up spots....). Hmmm, something to think about.

I "suggested" that BF grow a goatee and he did, so maybe it's my turn to take on his "suggestion"...



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?