<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 05, 2003

Witho goes to London!

My transfer to the London office has all been confirmed by HR. I'll start on 5th January. God, it will be weird commuting into the city - haven't done that in a long time, and then I was commuting to university, so it wasn't an every day, nine-to-five thing (we only had about 12 hours of classes per week, and none at all on Fridays!). So this could come as quite a shock to the system. I've been spoilt down here - walking to work every day. The voices: "Come on Witho, it's not every day is it, what about when it's raining, or when you've been for a run, or when you're running late, or when your moon is in Uranus, or when you're just being f**king lazy...." Okay, okay, these days I often take the bus, is that a crime? The voices: "Probably not... just wanted to wind you up..."

Anyway, as I was saying, when I was rudely interrupted! The voices: "Sorry Witho, carry on... " I will have to join the throng of city commuters, armed only with my not-so-trusty MP3 player (still haven't worked out what's wrong with it, still suspect the USB port on my PC, but can't prove it as don't have any other devices to try....) and the blank expression of a London commuter.

As a Londoner myself, I often get annoyed when people accuse "Londoners" of being unfriendly. Most of those unfriendly people are not Londoners at all. They may *live* in London now, but they were probably born in Surrey, or somewhere posh. The real Londoners probably aren't in Central London anyway, they're hanging around in their "boroughs", going about their daily business like anyone from anywhere else in the country. My friend always gets annoyed with "Londoners" who buy second homes in the countryside and push prices up in these areas. Again, I would argue that these people are probably not Londoners - yes, they live and work in London, but that's all...

Which reminds me of one of my favourite jokes - it's really a joke to hear rather than read, but see what this does for you:

Knock Knock
Who's there?
M.A.B. it's a big horse
M.A.B. it's a big horse, who?
*singing* M.A.B. it's a big horse I'm a Londoner, that I love London so....

You have to be there to appreciate it...

I suppose I just get annoyed when people try to judge others based on geography. We can't really help where we're born, let us just be individuals.

Oh, I dunno...

*crawls back under stone*


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?