<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Today, I are be mostly staring at this:

SELLER'S PROPERTY INFORMATION FORM (3rd edition)

Part I - to be completed by the seller

1 - Boundaries

"Boundaries" means any fence, wall, hedge or ditch which marks the edge of your property.

1.1 Looking at the house from the road, who either owns or accepts responsibility for the boundary:

(a) on the left?
(b) on the right?
(c) across the back?

......

My response would ideally be as follows:

Dear Seller's property information form

Please note the following:

  1. I live in a flat
  2. I cannot see my flat from the road, it's at the back of the building
  3. There are millions of people in this country who live in flats, I'm not just being "awkward"
  4. Your form, on its very first question, has succeeded in making an otherwise reasonably intelligent woman feel confused and excluded
Love Witho



My actual response will be:

NOT KNOWN

There are many other questions of this ilk on the form.

This country is so "house-centric", even though people have lived in flats for many years. My apartment block was built in the 1930s, which was a period when many people had a "pied-à-terre" in the city to complement their country pile. It's not a new thing. So why must us flat-dwellers put up with a system which can't seem to cope with it? It's the same when citing your address over the phone: "Can I have your postcode and house number please?" - the assumption is there.

So anyway, I'm going to have to go down to Southampton tomorrow to visit the solicitor, show them some documents and ask them about some of these stupid questions.

Also have the delicate matter of an estate agent to deal with. Here's the story. I got a guy round to assess the flat for rentability. He mentioned a guy who owned 4 other flats in the block who might be interested in buying it (I had met this guy previously on the stairs and knew he wanted to buy more flats in the block. At that time, though, I had no intention of selling...). So he asked me if I'd like him to give the guy a call. I said yes. Nothing was signed, no contract was entered into. We arranged for the potential buyer to come round to the flat with the agent. The agent phoned to say he wasn't coming, but the potential buyer would still come. So he did. I got his number, and we negotiated a deal between us.

So now, because the agent knows the potential buyer, he knows about our deal and has now sent me a "contract" to sign to that he'll get his commission. But he hasn't had to do anything other than phone up his mate. Do I ignore the contract and leave him out of the loop, or do I negotiate a lower fee? I have the details of the buyer, so don't need his services... but he knows the buyer so is aware of what's going on...

Comment faire?

These dreams...

Had a dream about Elsie last night. She was considering having coloured streaks put in her hair, so I said she could try my pink clip-on streak before committing herself to the hair dye. That's about all I can remember... not very good at recalling my dreams.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?