Tuesday, April 27, 2004
Today's activities - in bullets
- Go for a run - knock 1 minute off usual time but realise that listening to Johnny Vaughan's breakfast show whilst running may cause more breathlessness than usual, especially when he starts asking for stats to be expressed in terms of "dolphins" (he used to do this on the Big Breakfast too... it maketh me laugh)
- Due to early rising, visit a selection of blogs and leave random comments prior to going to work
- Make sandwiches
- Go to work
- Internally laugh at colleagues' mispronunciation of the name "Giulio" ("Goo-ee-lio")
- Internally cry at boss mother's insistence on randomly interrupting whatever I'm doing to "train" me in some other aspect of the job ("train" here means stand next to my desk and gibber at me using "local" jargon and expect me to understand what the hell she's going on about ("local" here means "pertaining to this office and only this office, words cannot be understood by anyone outside of [insert new company name]")) - this woman is a prime example of "reactive management"... someone says "Oh, we need to do x, but I'm doing y, and Witho hasn't been trained on x yet" - so mother boss thinks "Right, I shall resolve this situation" (where "resolve this situation" means confuse poor Witho with aforementioned gibbering).
- Eat walnut cake
- Scan various Grauniad job sections to generate ideas on next career - no ideas generated
- Ponder on various aspects of human existence
- Try to leave office at allotted time (18:00) - boss mother decides that now is the time to "train" me on something else. Witho politely declines, claiming that "my BF is expecting me..."
- Arrive home - open birthday card from uncle redirected from old address, containing gift vouchers
- Attempt to gas self and BF due to oven flame blowing out for reasons best known to no-one
- Eat remainder of lasagne
- Write blog post