<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 25, 2004

While the cat's away...

... the Witho will play at the following:


Here's a meme that I saw over at Jamie's which I've finally had a chance to finish, with Housse over in Jersey fart-arsing about going out for meals generally larking about playing cricket, apparently!

Your favorite song with the name of a city in the title or text

It’s not my favourite, but "Kansas City Milkman" by Level 42 is the first to spring to mind which fulfils the criteria

A song you've listened to repeatedly when you were depressed at some point in your life

"Baby I love you" –Calvin Russell – at the time when my French ex was about to go to the other side of the world to do his military service. Hmmm, that particular fiasco should provide ample material for several blog posts… but you’ll just have to wait for now...

Ever bought an entire album just for one song and wound up disliking everything but that song? Gimme that song

I have bought *so* many albums on the basis of one track, but one that springs to mind is "Free" by Stevie Wonder, from the album "Characters" – to be fair, I haven’t really listened to much of the rest of the album, but what I have heard, I haven’t liked. As for the track in question – it’s the song I’d like played at my funeral…

A great song in a language other than English

"Leïla et les chasseurs" – Francis Cabrel

Your least favourite song on one of your favourite albums of all time

"Call in the night boy" on "It’s my life" by Talk Talk

A song you like by someone you find physically unattractive or otherwise repellent

"Sweet child o’ mine" – Guns ‘n’ Roses. Whilst I admire the usage of " o' " (for reasons unknown even to myself), "Axl" wearing nothing but a pair of red hot pants and a bandana? Naaahhh…

Your favourite song that has expletives in it that's not by Liz Phair

Who is Liz Phair? "Stan" by Eminem – not sure it’s my favourite, but it’s a good ‘un

A song that sounds as if it's by someone British but isn't

I can’t think of anything. Many British acts don’t sound British, as they often sing with an American accent! Nope, you’ve stumped me there…

A song you like (possibly from your past) that took you forever to finally locate a copy of

"Never too much" by Luther Vandross – I scoured the second hand record shop over a long period of time before finally finding it on 12" vinyl.

A song that reminds you of summer but doesn't mention summer at all

"Daydream in blue" – I Monster

A song that sounds to you like being happy feels

"Autumn (Paradise is Free)" – Level 42 - from their early, jazz-funk era

Your favorite song from a non-soundtrack compilation album

"Swollen" – Bent, from Chilled Ibiza - but again, there are many more I could have chosen - I have lots of compilation albums - I think it’s something to do with hitting thirty…

A song that reminds you of high school

"Roses are Red" – The Mac Band featuring the MacCampbell Brothers - any of that 80s soul music - Vandross, O'Neal etc.

A song that reminds you of college

Anything by The Cure

A song you actually like by an artist you otherwise dislike

"Nothing Else Matters" – Metallica (sorry BF, it’s such a cliché, I know…)

A song by a band that features three or more female members

"Walk like an Egyptian" - Bangles

One of the earliest songs that you can remember listening to

"Mr Blue Sky" – Electric Light Orchestra

A song you've been mocked by friends for liking

"Forever and Ever" – Demis Roussos

A really good cover version you think no one else has heard

Erm, struggling here… okay, I’ll just go for a really good cover version shall I? Oh, but I usually prefer the originals… apart from the previously mentioned "Stan" by Eminem which is stacks better than Dildo's [sic] dirge, but it's not really a cover, it's more of a sample... erm, “Hallelujah” by Jeff Buckley – I *think* that’s a cover… phew…

A song that has helped cheer you up (or empowered you somehow) after a breakup or otherwise difficult situation

"Beyond the Sea" – Bobby Darin

Big shout out...

...to Fluffy, who's done something very brave and very scary, but which is *surely* the right thing for her future and her children... go girl!


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?