<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Well, maybe I *can* cope after all...
 
... okay, I was in a bit of a "two 'n' eight" yesterday, as our cockney chums would say ("two 'n' eight" = state). Actually, "two 'n' eight" is an example of a cockney rhyming slang expression where you *do* say the whole phrase, as opposed to the more usual expressions like: "let's 'ave a butcher's" where the whole phrase is "butcher's hook" (= look) or "alright, me old china" where the phrase is: "china plate" (= mate) - i.e. the slang user would not actually say the rhyming bit... Fascinating facts, courtesy of Witho. The original Cockney rhyming slang is, of course, different to what I would term "modern" rhyming slang, based on the old cockney version, but spoken throughout the country - an example being "it's all gone Pete Tong" (=wrong). Often, the whole expression is used in this system.
 
My favourite cockney rhyming slang expression is "Aris'" meaning "arse" - it's an example of double rhyming slang.
 
The original rhyming slang for arse was: "bottle and glass", shortened to "bottle" (with appropriate glottal stops replacing the "t"s of course...)
Then they invented a rhyming slang for bottle, being "Aristotle", shorted to "Aris'" - which is almost full circle, because it sounds like arse! I bet you're on the edge of your seat with excitement. Not.
 
Anyway, all of this was a round about way of saying that I was in panic mode yesterday. I keep having waves of anxiety about the move, which will probably continue until such time as I'm ensconced in our rented house in Taunton, bum on sofa and cup of tea in hand...
 
We've got one thing out of the way anyway - we've found somewhere to rent (subject to references etc) - a 3 bed Victorian Terrace close to the station, the school and the centre of town. (Swiss, did you know that Taunton is so called due to the river Tone which runs through it? Thought you might appreciate that...) The latter half of last week was spent viewing houses - most of which were modern ones with pokey little rooms, no character and no storage. The house we settled on was our last viewing of the day and we were relieved to find that we liked it. Funnily enough, the current occupant is a teacher too!
 
So now we have to get all the stuff down to Taunton - and apparently, this is the busiest time of year for Removal firms. Funny how you only find out these things when it's too late, though I suppose it makes sense when you think about it. We've had one quote already from a major firm which was astronomical (4 times as much as I paid to move from Southampton to London) but we have some local firms coming round tomorrow so hopefully they will quote us something reasonable. I suppose the main cause of my concern is getting the removal booked and packing the stuff. Before you say it, we're not going to get them to pack - the process of packing will allow BF to go through his stuff and work out what he actually needs - with help and advice from the Witho of course ("No dear, I'm sure you won't need that Man U scarf or that Metallica t-shirt" ;).... ). I already went through this process when I moved from Southampton, and the amount of stuff that I gave to charity , chucked away or recycled was unbelievable...
 
So, at the end of last week, we were in Taunton, and on Friday we set off for Manchester, where we had a wedding to attend on Saturday (BF was an usher). The journey was horrendous - we left Taunton at about 11.30 and arrived in Manchester at 18:15 - you do the math! I was frazzled... But the wedding was lovely, despite the torrential rain in the morning (it's grim up North, you know...). BF looked lovely in his penguin suit and "ushed" to perfection - he also did a reading which was delivered beautifully, despite his so-called friends' attempts to scupper him with lewd gestures from the pews... He was wise to keep his eyes on the lectern...
 
On the way back to London, I went on my current favourite stretch of motorway - the "M6 Toll" - each time I've been on it (erm, that'll be twice Witho...), it's been wonderfully empty, and the novelty of seeing a signpost towards "Toll Plaza" does not seem to have worn off yet. I'm not sure quite why the whole thing excites me so much, but the BF will attest that I was "woo-hoo"ing with glee as we joined the Toll section - best £2 I've spent in some time... The journey back to London took about 3.5 hours - which is about right.
 
I think that's quite enough for now...
 
 


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?