<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 02, 2004

1 year ago today...

... I went to a barbecue at my friend C's house, in Dorset. The barbecue is an annual, August-based event at C's (this year it's on the 14th) and always draws a crowd of people from [insert old company name]. The order of events goes something like this:

So, a standard event in Witho's social calendar - but last year's would prove to be monumental...

I can recall exactly what I was wearing - being my faded jeans, black sleeveless t-shirt and flower sandals. I took with me some home-made veggie kebabs, some Waitrose lamb, halloumi and black olive kebabs and a couple of packets of "emergency" halloumi in case C hadn't provided any (an unlikely scenario, if you know C)...

Why do I remember these details so clearly?

Earlier that week, some emails among my circle of friends at work had revealed that my friend J was bringing his old school friend H to the barbecue. I had met H a couple of years previously, when J had brought him along to a social event in Winchester. We had shared a mutual dislike of the trendy Vodka Bar (being old fogies) and, together with other old fogies, had sought refuge in an old fashioned pub where we could actually hear each other. We had discussed the fact that he lived in London, where he had bought a flat. I was surprised that a teacher was able to afford to buy a flat in London on a single income - he was a teacher, you see. I remembered that we had got on well and was quite pleased to discover that he was coming to this barbecue...

I drove my friends S and S to the barbecue and, as we drew up outside C's house, other C pulled up in his car with various passengers in tow - the aforementioned H, J and also K. Unfortunately, there wasn't an "I" to make a nice sequence... Damn! I do enjoy neatness...Almost unexpectedly and despite myself, I felt a flutter of nervousness seeing H again, but I managed to behave all nonchalantly, said a casual "Hi, oh yes, I think I met you once before..." and sashayed off into the house, swishing my hair in the manner of a Pantene girl... possibly...

Sure enough, H and I (that's me, not the ubiquitous "I") got on very well again. He consumed one of my vegetable kebabs (consumption of comestibles being one of his particular skills...) and I made him a cup of tea (*so* rock and roll, man!) and, together with my other friends, chatted happily throughout the evening as he regaled us with tales of J's schoolboy antics. On the drive home, S and S threw in a few casual: "H is a nice guy, isn't he?" type comments, and I couldn't help but agree with them...

More to come...


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?