<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 12, 2004

Doing the rounds

Telephone conversation with O2:

*dial customer service number*
*press appropriate buttons*

...

*scratch head*

...

*sigh*

...

30 minutes later

Operative: Blah blah O2 customer services blah blah my name is blah how can I help you?
Witho: Yes, I'd like a PAC code please
Operative: Can I take your mobile number please
Witho: Yes, it's blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah
Operative: Can you confirm your name, address and postcode please?
Witho: Yes, the name is Witho, the address is chez Witho & Housse, Taunton, Somerset blah blah blah, blah blah blah
Operative: And your date of birth?
Witho: Twenty-third of the fourth, seventy-two
Operative: Okay, so you'd like a PAC code - I assume this means you're leaving O2?
Witho: Yes
Operative: Can I ask why?
Witho: Well, for a start I've been on hold for 30 minutes before anyone would speak to me. Other than that, you won't let me upgrade to the phone I want, even though I've seen that it's available free on O2 contracts on the internet
Operative: Which phone was it that you wanted?
Witho: This one
Operative: Yes, we don't do that one
Witho: So can I have the PAC code then?
Operative: It will be sent to you within four working days. Blah blah blah blah blah...

What is it with mobile phone companies that they couldn't care less if they retain customers? The idea of customer loyalty is alien to them. I've gradually worked my way through the four main networks in the UK, simply because new customers are given much better deals than existing customers. I liked Orange - my first mobile network. But when I was told I had to pay £50 to upgrade to a phone I could get for free on T-Mobile, and this after about 3 years of customer loyalty, I took action. I haven't looked back since and I've never once changed my mobile number or paid for a handset.

So, I went into Phones 4U and said: "I want the Nokia 7200 on a contract and I don't want to pay for it. Can you help me?" They both could and did. I was very impressed... Vodafone here I come...



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?