<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, November 05, 2004

I hate my job

I know, you're sick of hearing this aren't you. Ever since I started blogging, I have hated my job, even though I've had 4 different jobs since then.

The current one is for the NHS (National Health Service for any non-Brits out there) - not in a hospital or doctor's surgery or anywhere useful, I work for a "Primary Care Trust". I'm still puzzled over what it actually means (the words on their own have meanings, but when juxtaposed they just look a bit... erm... juxtaposed?) though what it seems to mean is a place where so-called "Healthcare professionals" have meetings, committees, symposiums (symposia?), forums (fora?), steering groups, conferences and sub-committees. A place where the paper wastage is astonishing. A place where people spend their days writing documents about what they've done, what they're doing and what they're going to do, without seeming to actually *do* much at all. A place where it is pointless people having email accounts because they are always in a meeting or out of the office but certainly never at their desk. A place where the ignorance of the best use of IT is profound. A place where they use Novell Groupwise instead of Outlook (is Groupwise *really really* shit, or am I just biased?)

My job is to provide secretarial support to these "healthcare professionals". This translates as:

I can't do this shit any more...



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?