<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Fruity

The best way for me to eat fruit is to put it on my desk at work and graze on it during the day. I usually bring in enough to keep me going all week long. At the moment, I have 3 bananas, 5 clementines, 1 apple and a bunch of grapes. I will probably have consumed most of this by the end of the week. (Except I forgot about that I had yesterday off for the interview, so there will probably be a banana surplus...)

People who walk past my desk seem endlessly fascinated by the fruit and are compelled to comment on it, usually in an inane way:

"Blimey, that's a lot of fruit!"
"Ha ha! Are you trying to do five-a-day or something?"
"Are you on some kind of fruit diet?"
"New year's resolution?"

Similarly, I often bring in a bag of salad in to have with my lunch. Note, "with", not "for", I will have a sandwich or a jacket potato with it. But when people see me with a plate of salad, they are guaranteed (yes, guaranteed) to make similarly inane remarks along the lines of "Oooh, that's a bit healthy, isn't it?".

Interestingly, as I type, the Chief Executive has literally just commented:

"Gosh, you're into your five-a-day in here, aren't you? Must be those school nurses..."

I wish I could just say to them:

"No, it's not the school nurses, no, I'm not detoxing, no, I'm not on a diet and no, it's not a new year's resolution. I just try to eat healthily. Every day, not just for a few days after new year. Is that okay with you?"

Instead, I just smile, nod, say "yeah" and go back to my work.




No news on the job yet...


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?