<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 21, 2005

My last day at [insert organisation name]

Walking into work this morning on my last day, I didn't see the usual suspects.

I didn't see the cyclist with the eighties "Lady Di" hairstyle labouring up what appears only to be a small incline on "G" street.

I didn't see the mother and daughter "combo" as I turned into the main road; the sullen teenager lurking several deliberate paces behind her mother as if to deny their connection, but both wearing their trousers a couple of inches too short so that they flap around their ankles ("jack-ups" as we used to call this phenomenon at school).

I didn't see the little yellow S-reg Renault Clio that reminded me of the time when I had a little yellow S-reg Renault Clio.

I truly believe that it's a luxury to be able to walk to one's place of work - a luxury which I will no longer have after today. We have managed without a car for 4.5 months and, had I not got this job, would have managed for longer. It's a shame that public transport is so lamentable down here. The nearest train station is a good 5 miles away from my new workplace, there are no useful buses and I'm too scared to cycle. I've even considered running as I can run 5 miles reasonably comfortably these days. But twice a day! Even *I'm* not that much of an enthusiast...

So, tomorrow I pick up my new car.

I've taken next week off to recharge my batteries and check out the latest addition to the Witho clan.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?