<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 01, 2005

Oh dear, I've been tagged...

Thanks BF

1. What book would I like to be?

Is it just me or is that is a very strange question? It makes me think of the wonderful poem "A Martian Sends a Postcard Home" where books are seen by the alien eye as animate objects: "mechanical birds with many wings".

Seeing as they're not, I'm not sure how I'd feel about being acquired, "thumbed" for a couple of weeks then put on a shelf for several years, gathering dust. I'd hope that I would be reused, given to charity, say, and then thumbed again by a new owner and so on ad infinitum. Or maybe I could be one of those beautiful coffee table books, which people go back to again and again, flicking through idly.

When I was little, we had a book called "What makes it go?" by Richard Scarry which had wonderful pictures of machines and how they worked. My favourite was the cross section of a cruise ship, with all the little people in it. So much to take in. I think I'd like to be a book like this - one which fills the reader with excitement and wonder.

2. Have I ever had a crush on a fictional character?

No. Sorry.

3. What is the last book I bought?

"Ella Minnow Pea" by Mark Dunn. I was probably drawn to it because of the word "Minnow" in the title. See how Blogland has infiltrated my very thoughts? It ain't right, I tell ya!

However, I don't expect I'll read it for a while. I've got to read this first, then this. Oh, and all the other unread tomes on the bookshelf. I am a v e r y slow reader. I only think to pick up a book when I'm going to bed, and even if I'm enjoying my book, the soporific effect of reading never takes long to set me a-nodding. When BF and I are reading in bed, he'll "monitor" me - if I go quiet for a while, he'll give me a nudge to make sure I haven't nodded off. Bless.

4. What is the last book I read?

I read half of "The Female Eunuch" by Germaine Greer whilst on holiday, but had to leave it there because it belonged to the cottage. I should probably get myself a copy so that I can finish it, it was very interesting.

The last book I actually completed was "Brick Lane", by Monica Ali. I grew up in East London in a community with a large Asian population so I thought this might be an interesting read, coming from the point of view of a Bangladeshi woman "brought" over to England for an arranged marriage.

5. What book am I currently reading?

"Middlesex", by Jeffrey Eugenides. It's about a hermaphrodite (do you see what he's done there?) as opposed to an English county which doesn't really exist anymore or a cricket team that my mum used to support.

6. What five books would I take with me if I was stranded on a desert island?


7. What three poor idiots am I tagging with this FUN FUN FUN?
I'm going to be controversial and say "no-one". I'm not running a dictatorship here, blog what you like! ;)




Apologies if you saw this post appear, transmogrify and disappear about 20 minutes ago. I had an issue with a "Back" button and a brain which didn't work anymore...



This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?